Sunday, August 22, 2021

ZEBRINA "HOLLYHOCK" [Malva sylvestris]

I LOVE Zebrinas! They have been a staple in my flower beds for over 20 years. While I love regular hollyhocks, these little scrappy, happy bits of flower joy just make my heart sing when I see them. They prolifically bloom for a long time!

You can find seeds and transplants in my shop.

growing

Zebrinas are actually a mallow flower and not a true hollyhock.

While listed as a perennial, they grow for me more as a biennial. Second year plants don't overwinter for me happily when we have harsher winters, and they don't seem to be healthy when they do. I would imagine if I cut them down and mulched I would have a better outcome. I may try that this year. In more northern regions they can be grown as an annual. They will bloom the first year. For a longer bloom, start indoors 6 weeks before planting out after last frost.

They really aren't particular about soil or water. But, they do need full sun. Without full sun they get a bit leggy and floppy. But still very pretty. They can be staked if needed, but if grown in the right conditions, it is unnecessary. Height is 2-4 feet, most of mine have been right around 3 feet tall.

specs

Malva Sylvestris
Type: Perennial
Use: Cut flower, border, specimen, mass planting
Hardiness Zone: 4-8
Germination: cold stratify 6-8 weeks in freezer or direst sow in fall
Seed Depth:
Germination time: 14-28 days
Growing Temp: 65-70° F
Height: 2-4 feet Spread: 1 1/2-2 feet
Spacing: 12-24 inches
Sunlight: 6+ hrs. direct sun
Water Requirements: Average, drought tolerant
Soil Quality: Average Soil Chemistry: 5.5-6.2
Fertilize: all purpose in early spring
Growth Rate: Medium
Bloom time: Early summer-mid fall Attracts: Butterflies, can attract hummingbirds Critter Resistant: Rabbit
Critter Attractant: No Pruning: Deadhead, cut back if necessary to encourage more blooms
Pests: Mallow flea beetle, capsid beetle, caterpillars, two-spotted mites, Japanese beetle, slugs, stalk borer
Diseases: Leaf spot, rust, anthracnose, crown gall, Pythium root rot
Reseeds: Yes
Propagation: Seed only
Garden Style: English cottage, eclectic
Companions: Daylily, shasta daisy, coreopsis
https://www.waltersgardens.com/variety.php?ID=MALZE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pet Bunny Supplies

Tammie bought one of my Silver Fox rabbit kits yesterday for her daughter's birthday today. As a new rabbit grandma, she was curious as ...